21 April 2012

We've Got It Covered #97


Unlike my fellow blogger, The Pop Cop, I am stupidly excited about today. Not since about 1997 when I queued to get tickets to see Blur at the Barrowlands, has there been an event that I have been happy to haul myself out of bed at an ungodly hour to get down and in line. But this morning I will be leaving the house just after half seven to go an stand outside my favourite record store, Love Music to pick up some of the exclusive 'goodies' which are being released as part of this years Record Store Day celebrations.
Having always been a bit of kleptomaniac when it comes to buying tangible music products, I have to admit that I only just recently caught the vinyl bug. So this morning I will queuing up with all of my fellow vinyl junkies in order to get my grubby little paws on copies of the Admiral Fallow, Snowgoose and Human Don't Be Angry albums on vinyl, the limited edition Bronto Skylift tape and possibly a few limited edition 7"s. Anyway, that's enough about me and my wish lists, if you're passionate about your music then get out and support your local record store today. Should you need anymore convincing then here's a list of some in store gigs that are taking place in Edinburgh and Glasgow today, interspersed with a few cover versions from some of the bands that will be playing live.


Edinburgh

Avalanche Records

2:00pm Withered Hand
3:00pm Gordon McIntyre (Ballboy)
In the evening there is also going to be an after show of sorts at the Electric Circus featuring Star Wheel Press, The Last Battle (who I stupdily said yesterday that they'd be doing an instore, that's what I get for not paying attention) and the fabulous Ms Emily Scott. The gig is being put on by my fellow blogger friend Stuart from Tidal Wave of Indifference. The stage times should go something like this 7.20-7.40pm - The Last Battle, 8.15-8.45pm - Emily Scott and 9.10-10.00pm - Star Wheel Press

Withered Hand - Into the Fold (eagleowl cover)

Ballboy - Tell Me (Galaxie 500 cover)

VoxBox Music

This gig/instore is being compered by my friend Ian from Song, By Toad and those pesky Gerry Loves boys, hence the awesomeness of it all.

3:00pm PAWS
3:30pm Neil Pennycook (Meursault)

PAWS - I Live My Broken Dreams (Daniel Johnston cover)

Meursault - Hey Joe (Daniel Johnston cover)


Coda

3:00pm Lorraine McCauley



Glasgow

Love Music
1.30pm Dolalay
2:00pm Cathode Ray
2:30pm White Heath 
3:00pm French Wives
4:00pm Woodenbox 
4:30pm The Murderburgers
5:00pm Admiral Fallow

French Wives - Sleepy Head (Passion Pit cover)

Woodenbox - Bad Romance (Lady Gaga cover)

Admiral Fallow - Party Fears 2 (Associates cover)

Monorail 

3:00pm JD Twitch (DJ)
4:00pm Organs Of Love
4:30pm Gerard Love (DJ)
5:30pm Human Don’t Be Angry
6:00pm Stuart Braithwaite (DJ)
7:00pm Snowgoose
7:30pm The Brogues (DJ)
8:30pm Edwyn Collins & the Dead Flamingo
10:00pm Adele Bethel (DJ)

Malcolm Middleton - Issues (The Saturdays cover)

Nice N Sleazy's/ Insularis Records

2:00pm Call To Mind
3:00pm Any Colour Black
5:00pm Withered Hand
8:00pm Insularis gig (ticketed) featuring Holy Mountain, What The Blood Revealed, Adam Stafford and a DJ set from The Phantom Band.

Call To Mind - Cherry Coloured Funk (Cocteau Twins Cover)

Adam Stafford - Invisible Sun (Police cover)



1 comment:

  1. LOVE the Passion Pit cover! Just found out they're set to release their new album "Gossamer" on July 24th :D Can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete