18 November 2013

Fresh Meat Monday - The Leg


Would you care to introduce yourself?

I am Dan Mutch, I play in The Leg with Alun Thomas and Pete Harvey.


How would you describe the music you make?

I can't really describe it myself but I don't mind when people describe it as unhinged, dadaist or lo-fi. That sort of makes sense. Don't like being described as folk, punk, jazz or mentalists, although I suppose all those kind of make sense too.


How did you start out making music?

I started out playing music by having trumpet lessons, never liked that though. I was lucky that my stepdad collected musical instruments and had a guitar I could play instead. not that he let me play it as such, everyone did their best to stop me playing. to be fair, I loved playing one chord for as long as possible and I still do.


What process goes into the way you write songs?

The songs I write are either me laughing at myself, or an attempt to put across the atmosphere of funny little cartoons/daydreams that run in my head and seem worth trying to share. I'm a big fan of skat singing and often songs come about that way.  


What can people expect from your live shows?

Don't expect anything.


What are you all listening to at the moment?

We've been listening to transfers by Anne James Chaton and Andy Moor a lot, especially princess in a mercedes. also Arvo Part and Swans. I recently remembered how good Medulla by Bjork is, been listening to that everyday this week as well as sister ray, god bless Lou Reed.


What can we expect to see/hear from you in the future?

Next for us is the album launch but we've still not found a venue to meet our requirements. in December we're going to record a single which we've been working on for, er, a long time. Excited about getting that done. Hopefully it's going to be released on 78rpm. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment