11 November 2013

Fresh Meat Monday - Holobeams





Would you care to introduce yourself?


My name is Iain Foxwell and i produce music under the name of Holobeams.


How would you describe the music you make?

The main thing i am trying to convey in my music is beauty so i like to use a lot of melodies and string/pad type sounds for this. I also love synths and tend to go for the older analog type sounds (for example Boards Of Canada influenced synth sounds).



How did you start out making music?

Music runs in my family so it was natural for me to gravitate to this creative world. I started out writing music with my best friend as we were quite obsessed with the whole electronic music scene back in the day (I still am obsessed actually!). Once i returned to education a few years back this gave me time to start my Holobeams project and have not looked back since.


What process goes into the way you write songs?

My process can actually be quite drawn out even though some of my tracks are relatively simple sounding. I tend to go through creating melodies, chords and bass lines which I will then re-sample. From there I will break the samples up and rearrange, pitch and effect them until it starts feel right. Some producers tend to bang out tracks really quickly but as much as I would love that i just cannot produce a track so quickly.


What can people expect from your live shows?

I have actually only played live once and have no grand plans to tour or gig around. Im a bit of an introvert so the call of the big stage is quite distant in my thoughts. I prefer to spend time in my natural habitat which is creating music on Ableton in the studio.


What are you all listening to at the moment?

Currently a bit blown away by the new Oneohtrix Point Never album R Plus Seven. It is seriously out there but he somehow manages to pull it off without sounding like avant garde garbage. Defo my album of the year. Also love the whole Vaporave genre (Saint Pepsi, Luxury Elite, Vektroid....), its not exactly chin stroking music. If you have never heard Vaporwave go check my mix out here. Its like Marmite.


What can we expect to see/hear from you in the future?

I am always working on new music and trying to tweak my style so who knows. I do have one of my tracks featuring in an advert for Hotels in the Ratchaprasong area in Bangkok (totally random i know) so will post that up as soon as have the final edit. Im also working on some music for an indie game called Triclone lab.

SoundCloud 
Bandcamp
Facebook
Twitter
Tumblr


No comments:

Post a Comment