01 July 2013

Fresh Meat Monday - Casual Sex





Would you care to introduce yourself? 


Hello, I'm Chris and I play drums for Casual Sex. 


How would you describe the music you make? 

It's hard to describe but if I had to cast an incredibly loose net, I'd say we sound like a cross between Glenn Branca, Neu! and Roxy Music. We can be cutting and efficient one minute or smooth and rich the next. We just follow our ears to places that excite us.


How did you start out making music? 
Casual Sex started with our singer Sam. He wrote some songs after leaving his previous band (that I'm sure you all know about) and eventually formed a new band around those songs. I met Sam and Pete purely by chance, I had just finished recording my first album as Male Pattern Band and I went out for drinks at Sleazies with the engineers from the studio, they introduced me to Sam who was looking for musicians - I said I played and he handed me a demo CD. It was great, so I joined the band. 



What process goes into the way you write songs? 
It varies from song to song. We rehearse in a recording studio so there's been occasions where a song has been conceived and recorded completely within a couple of hours. There are other times where one or two of us might have an idea that we'll put to tape and over time we'll all contribute to it and sculpt it into a finished product. We might even forget it for months and come back to it. It's very loose, we don't really have a set way of working. I think this is quite a healthy way of working and we're very lucky to be able to work the way we do. 


What can people expect from your live shows? 

It's quite intense. We're a live band and we believe it's important to put on a show - we're there to entertain, not fulfil some silly fantasy. It's all fine and well to tinker for hours in the studio - but if we can't translate it to a stage, then it's no good to us. 


What are you all listening to at the moment? 
As I write this, I'm listening to War! Funk music is good for the soul.

Lately though, I've been listening to a lot of Sparks. Their 70s output is beyond perfect. Good production and better songs. Brilliantly twisted pop music. I play Todd Rundgren (who produced Sparks' first record / is incredibly talented) and Wire a lot too lately. Also, I should mention that I've been head over heels in love with Brian Eno's first few records for at least the past couple of years.

As for the others, I can almost guarantee you Pete is listening to the new QOTSA record and Ed will be listening to The Contortions or Fugazi or something cool. If I had to wager a bet, Sam'll be listening to Scott Walker or A Certain Ratio and putting make up on in his bedroom. 


What can we expect to see/hear from you in the future?

We're working on something special in the studio at the moment - It's probably more exciting for us than for anyone else (we like the studio) but I can't really say much more than that for now.

We're busy throughout the summer in the UK and Europe with festival slots and tour dates. I'm particularly looking forward to GoNorth. The line up is good and it's a hometown show for Pete, our bass player. As for the future there are rumours of the USA and more extensive Scottish and European tours, but for the time being - I best be quiet!


Twitter
SoundCloud
Facebook



No comments:

Post a Comment