08 July 2013

Fresh Meat Monday - Algernon Doll


 Would you care to introduce yourself?    


Hi, I'm Ewan and I write music under, 'Algernon Doll'.     


How would you describe the music you make?    

It's hard to say as I don't want to limit myself to one style. My new album is atmospheric alt-rock. I'm really big on interesting chord progressions and double tracked vocals so that's my staple.     


How did you start out making music?    

Everyone in my family plays music in some respect so it's hard to pinpoint how I started. I used to jam Nirvana covers with my mate then I got into some hardcore bands through my teens.  I started doing this project as some sort of therapy for all my anxiety and depression issues and it's turned out to be the best outlet.     



What process goes into the way you write songs?    

Not to sound wanky but I feel that the songs are already out there in the ether and you just need to pluck them out and arrange them. It feels like you almost unlock the melodies from experiences you gain so I find it hard to take full credit for them. Lyrically I like to express the most honest secrets I have and tell myself that no one's really listening or trying to decipher them. Songwriting is an incredibly selfish act for me.     


What can people expect from your live shows?    

Hunners of pedals, feedback, atmospheres, energy and catchy tunes.     




What are you listening to at the moment?   

I'm loving this album by Stuart Warwick that my friend linked me to on bandcamp the other day. It's like a super dark look at gender alienation and it's really beautiful. I've been listening to True Widow and some classic albums from Give Up The Ghost and Cave In.     


What can we expect to see/hear from you in the future?   

I'm hoping to tour this record in September and I'm starting to record Album three in July. I've got big plans for what I want to achieve with that album sound and aesthetic-wise.


Bandcamp
SoundCloud
Facebook
Twitter




No comments:

Post a Comment