06 February 2012

Fresh Meat Monday - Kith and Kin


Would you care to introduce yourself?  

I am Liam Cairns, the lead singer and songwriter for the band Kith & Kin.  


How would you describe the music you make?  

I guess it's a mix of different things. Thematically I try to use 'life' and 'experiences' as well as films and novels as inspiration for lyrical content. Stylistically I take a lot of influence American folk, 60s pop and rock. Specific artists and bands that influence me would go from Radiohead and Bon Iver to The Beatles, John Martyn and Nick Drake.   


How did you start out making music?  

I started writing songs in 2005 in school and looked for a band when I got to uni. We formed Kith & Kin in November 2009 under a different name, the name (Kith & Kin) came about 6 months ago.   


What process goes into the way you write songs?  

I don't know if I have a 'process' but the catalyst for ideas can come from anything just a wee bit of inspiration from a phrase or a melody and then it just kind of snowballs into a song, other times I'll have a specific event or scenario that I'll want to write about from the outset.   


What can people expect from your live shows?  

A good, fun, high energy show with some quiet bits in between.   


What are you all listening to at the moment?  

I'm not sure about the rest of the band but I've been listening to a lot of James Yorkston, King Creosote and Jon Hopkins album and also Midlake.   


What can we expect to see/hear from you in the future?  

Well this year we'll hopefully have some EPs coming out and some bigger shows and maybe some summer fests as well.


Kith & Kin - Birds


SoundCloud
Facebook


No comments:

Post a Comment