16 January 2012

Fresh Meat Monday - The Machine Room

Would you care to introduce yourself?

Hi I’m John, I’m 27, brown hair, brown eyes, 5, 11’. I’m one of five people in ‘The Machine Room’. There also is Adie, Ryan, Scott and Tom. They are all taller than me.


How would you describe the music you make?

Melodic, melancholic, uplifting, nearly pop with a few mistakes thrown in.


How did you start out making music?

A friend of mine was recording some super songs of his own in his bedroom-studio so I thought I’d give it a try with a couple of instruments, a microphone and garage band. The music I made was worse than rubbish to begin with, but then I started to surprise myself and my friends seemed to like what I was coming up with so I kept making more songs. When hearing my early demos the first thing they would normally say was ‘Who’s the girl singing on that?’


What process goes into the way you write songs?

I record demos initially. I just record one thing at a time and see where the song goes. Once I’ve taken it as far as I can on my own we then work it out in the rehearsal room and it grows from there. When a song starts to come together for the first time in rehearsal its a good time. Our songs keep evolving until we record them as a band, then its time to move onto the next.


What can people expect from your live shows?

I thought about this question a lot, having been asked it before. Its always hard describing what we do and I can’t really speak on behalf of the audience but, personally speaking, I get caught up in the music we make, it feels good, weird, raw, all at the same time with lots of other feelings in the mix that go deep deep down. Hopefully some of that connects with the audience when we do our darndest to put the songs across.

I suppose playing live requires giving little pieces of ourselves away, which we’re happy to do if there’s a bit of give and take. I can’t help but feel responsible for giving everyone a good time and I probably take it a bit too personally if I look up and see someone playing on their phone or picking their nose….but I have to remind myself that it’s not going to be everyone’s cup of tea. I’d say listen to our tunes online and if you like them come see us live and make your own mind up - it will be much appreciated. We’ve been really enjoying playing live recently so we’ll get the ball rolling on the give and take front.

N.B At our last gig we played on a bed of feathers so I suggest avoiding us if you have a feather allergy.


What are you all listening to at the moment?

Adie is listening to Onra, Koreless, Tokimonsta, Wild Nothing, Erykah Badu

Ryan is listening to Alunageorge, Warpaint, Sbtrkt, Rustie. Real Estate, Alpines, Bonjay, Lianne La Havas.

Scott is listening to Federico Garcia Lorca, The Limiñanas, Glass Candy, The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band, Still Corners, Cashier No.9, Prince- Sign of the Times (just that one prince song)
Link
Tom is listening to Lower Dens, Cocteau Twins and Prince I am listening to Cocteau Twins, Fleetwood Mac, Lykke Li, Twin Sister, Grandmaster Flash and The Furious Five, PET…


What can we expect to see/hear from you in the future?

We have a four track EP called ‘Love from a distance’ set for release in late February/early March so we’ll book some shows for around then. After that we plan to release a couple of singles close together. The idea is just to keep putting music out til the cows come home.

Camino de Soda - Out Dec 5th! by the machine room

Twitter
Facebook
SoundCloud

No comments:

Post a Comment