14 November 2011

Fresh Meat Monday - Otherpeople


Would you care to introduce yourself?

I'm Andrew Manson (Vox Guitar), there's Richie Laing (Guitar Vox) Bruce Rintoul (Drums Vox) Dave Reekie (bass)

Based in Glasgow but brought up in the suburbs, the highlands by the sea and in the ghetto (that's Wishae BTW)


How would you describe the music you make?

Our press release (which someone else wrote, promise) says 'odd pop', which I like be cause it has two each of the letters 'o' 'p' and 'd' in it. Someone called us 'like Orange Juice but louder and faster', I'll cling to that one to my grave as well.


How did you start out making music?

I'd know Richie for a while and was wanting to put together something that sounded sort of 'good' 90's in style, and knew he had all the skills I lacked to make something all right- he could play guitar, sing in tune, be spontaneous, that sort of stuff. I saw him play an acoustic night and someone requested the Home and Away tune, he just thought about it for a second and then played and sang it note for note, including the weird key change, and that sold it for me. Dave was next because he was playing keyboards in another band so that made total sense, and we picked up Bruce when we did our first demo's with a stand in drummer and Bruce ended up recording, then taking over the sticks (not during the session, he's not that much of a control freak).


What process goes into the way you write songs?

'I bring the bones muscle and eyeballs to the songs, and the rest add the skin, fingernails and hairstyle'. Is what Richie has told me to put in, but since he's not here, I'll say 'I write the tunes, bring them to the the band who progressively destroy them. Ach, don't leave that in. In fact fuck it, leave it in, they're not here.


What can people expect from your live shows?

A lot of sweat from me and a lot of volume, from Bruce's cymbals mostly.


What are you all listening to at the moment?

Since it's Bon Iver everything week I'm just going to take this moment to say Lost Cause by Beck is a more heartbreaking song than Skinny Love will ever be.


What can we expect to see/hear from you in 2011?

We've only just put out an EP gis a break eh?. Have bit of a plan for a cooool Christmas release (is it really that time already etc etc), and then it's onto the album proper. next year.

Otherpeople - (I am so bored of) Acoustic Guitars

Bandcamp
Facebook
Twitter
Big Cartel

No comments:

Post a Comment