19 September 2011

Fresh Meat Monday - Chris Devotion And The Expectations


Would you care to introduce yourself?

My name is Chris Devotion, I sing and play guitar in Chris Devotion and The Expectations. I am a man of wealth and taste. Well, maybe just taste

Alongside me in CD/EX I have Colin Reid (Guitar) Michael Wright (Bass) and Graham Christie (Drums).



How would you describe the music you make?

I would describe it as “good”. I have heard other people describe us as a bunch of things: Punk, Indie Rock, Art-Punk, New Wave, Garage Rock, Power-Pop and Alt Rock. I just prefer to call it Rock and Roll, I like short, sharp hook filled songs, so that is what I make.


How did you start out making music?

Like a lot of people music hit me hard when I was a young teenager, I became obsessed (I still am, in fact) and like the egotistical monster I am, once I learned the chords to songs I liked I thought well, if I put my mind to it, I could write songs I like.

From then on I kissed a lot frogs until I found the princes that are The Expectations.


What process goes into the way you write songs?

I'll take the fifth on that one if you don’t mind. Answering that sort of question can leave me sounding like a pretentious arsehole (and I am a pretentious arsehole, I just don’t like sounding like one)


What can people expect from your live shows?

Super-awesome heart-breaking, soul-shaking, name-taking rock and roll. Or if you prefer a numbers based answer, usually 14 songs in 30 minutes


What are you all listening to at the moment?

Recent stuff? The new Fucked Up record, David Comes To Life is brilliant; I am also enjoying the new Arctic Monkeys record.

I was just checking out a guy called Jim Ford five minutes ago and he sounds pretty good on first listen so I’ll be buying something by him to investigate further. Then we have the old stand-by bands that we listen to all the time, The Clash, Pixies, Ramones, Wilco, Reigning Sound, Springsteen and Weezer (early stuff obviously).


What can we expect to see/hear from you in 2011?

We are about to release a double A-side single on Armellodie records (A Modest Refusal/Tell The Girl) We launch it Fri 16th Sept at the13th Note, Glasgow with support from Ace City Racers and Filthy Little Secret.

The CD will be available for order/digital download Mon 19th Sept from our bandcamp page After that we will be gearing up for our debut album, which will be released early 2012.


No comments:

Post a Comment