01 February 2010

Happy 20th Birthday King Tuts




It has been just over 14 years since I went to my first ever 'Tuts gig. It was only my third ever gig, the first two being at the Barras (Stone Temple Pilots and Terrorvision in case you were wondering), as a bright eyed 16 year old I don't know if I was more excited about the gig or the fact that I had gotten into a proper bar with my dodgy fake ISIC card. Originally I had gone out for the night to queue outside the Barras in the hope that we might get in to see Oasis who had a re-arranged gig that night. To be honest I didn't really know much about who Oasis were at this point, my mate had just dragged me along. I had tasted my first experience of live music and I was hooked on the gig-going bug, something that's never left me to this day. Alas we didn't get in, we were never going to get in, so thankfully I managed to persuade said friend to go to Tuts with me to see local band Baby Chaos, having seen them support Terrorvision a few months prior I knew that they were good. They later went on to become one of my all time favourite bands and probably one of the major reasons why I 'got in to' more homegrown music. Oh and support on the evening came from a wee band called Travis, I do remember singing 'I'm so happy' for several months after that, strange how these things pan out.



I have many great memories of seeing plenty of bands in Tuts over the years, from The Strokes to Midget, Snow Patrol to Joyrider. I have had plenty of crazy nights in there, most of which I don't want to share in such a public manner. If you ever meet me in person and buy me a pint I'm sure that my lips will be a bit more loose.
Anyway, that's enough rambling from me, King Tuts you are a great wee venue and I'd just like to thanks you for many a drunken evening. Here's to another 20!
King Tuts



Idlewild - Last Night I Missed All the fireworks (live at King Tuts)
The Xcerts - Home Versus Home (live at King Tuts)
Beerjacket - Fatal Fantasy (live at King Tuts)



Artists taking part in King Tut’s 20th Birthday include Paulo Nutini, the Manic Street Preachers, Enter Shikari, Tom McRae, Brett Anderson, Unicorn Kid, The Undertones, Iglu & Hartly, Codeine Velvet Club, Japandroids and Spoo, none of which excite me in any way, am I wrong? is there something I am missing in that list.



No comments:

Post a Comment