30 September 2013

Fresh Meat Monday - Mast.





 Would you care to introduce yourself?

Hello, I'm Liam. I write songs under the banner of Mast (which in my head is more radio mast, than a ships mast).


How would you describe the music you make?

Pop-like, with an underlying Math/alt foundation. I like the idea of writing Math/prog songs disguised as pop - not sure If I've achieved that, but I'm having fun.


How did you start out making music?

I've played music for years - started out playing metal (yup, had dreadlocks), migrating into math stuff with The Darien Venture, and finally onto Mast. I've recorded at home for as long as I can remember though - starting out with Garageband and a line6 audio interface (with the *best* scooped Dual Rect. sound) and just progressed to the fairly decent setup I have at the moment.


What process goes into the way you write songs?

Well, I tend to come up with something either on the guitar or (increasingly) piano, from there it's just a matter of working out melody lines that work and deciding if they should be for other instrumentation or a good base for the vocal melody. I'm really trying to get into building an entire song as basic as possible - either just piano or guitar chords - to work out how sections work together. It's much easier to then build on top of the rough song as a whole instead of writing section to section.


What can people expect from your live shows?

Not much at the moment! I do plan on playing live, but not really concentrating on that for the time being. I count myself lucky to have some incredibly musical friends though, so I don't think it'll be to hard to materialise when things are ready.


What are you all listening to at the moment?

Jonsi, El Ten Eleven, Foals, Vasa, Bastille, TTNG, Olympians, Prides, The Cormorant… that was today.


What can we expect to see/hear from you in the future?

More tunes, almost immediately - and I'm waiting on my Blackmagic Pocket Cinema camera pre-order to film some better videos. That'll be the game plan for the next couple of months; just getting more out. Then at some point (hopefully before Christmas) I'll work on the live stuff. I've not played a gig in months and I've really got itchy feet

Home
SoundCloud
Twitter
Facebook


No comments:

Post a Comment