22 July 2013

Fresh Meat Monday - St. Kilda Mailboat





Would you care to introduce yourself?


Hi, I’m Mark and I play ukulele and sing in St. Kilda Mailboat.

Hello, I’m Claire and I play accordion, organ and drum machine.


How would you describe the music you make?

Not quite sure - the Rezillos meets Ivor Cutler at a magic show in a central European squat? We call it Post-Apocalyptic Skiffle.



How did you start out making music?

Mark: I started out playing drums in a punk band and percussion in a folk band. Then I realized I didn’t want to be in goals – I wanted to be the striker.

Claire: My mum was always making music at home while I was growing up and I would joining with her. She was mainly into Irving Berlin, Bert Jansch and Bach and wrote her own stuff. I learned a bit of piano and guitar while I was at school, then when I was 17 I joined an amazing Glasgow group called The Yummy Fur.



What process goes into the way you write songs?

Mark: Lyrics usually come to me when I’m out cycling on my bike, so I often end up stopping to write in the middle of a field or forest or some other random place. I then hand my rhyming ramblings over to Claire and she turns them into songs.


What can people expect from your live shows?

Songs, dance routines, costumes, gifts, prizes, palm trees, disco lights, explosions and channeling of the subconscious.


What are you all listening to at the moment?

Pretty much exclusively Die Antwoord. And also a Romanian performer called Ada Milea.


What can we expect to see/hear from you in the future?

More songs, more videos and more dancing. Our second single is due out in October on Glint Recordings. It’s going to be a double A-side - we’re in the process of making videos for both tunes at the moment. There’s an album in the pipeline, hopefully it’ll be out sometime next year.




Facebook
Glint Recordings

No comments:

Post a Comment