20 May 2013

Fresh Meat Monday - Kevin Harper


Would you care to introduce yourself?   

My name is Kevin Harper, the Q is silent. I was once the singer in vivamelodica, and then I was the singer in Little Eskimos. And now I'm the singer in Kevin Harper.     


How would you describe the music you make?   

Hmm. I tell taxi drivers I play covers because I hate this question, but since it's you, I'll keep it simple. I define pop music as 'happy music with sad lyrics' so I'd describe it as pop music.   



How did you start out making music?   

 In the early 90's a combination of Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Dinosaur Jr, Screaming Trees,  Pavement, and Buffalo Tom led me to the guitar, but Bowie, Dylan and The Beatles made me realise I still had to learn chords. I was devastated at the time, but they also taught me how to write songs,     


What process goes into the way you write songs?   

Usually some from of trial separation followed  by an egregious and litigious divorce. Seriously, though it's different every time. Sometimes a song can come out, fully formed, all you need to do is fix a line or two and boom! Done. Money in the bank. These are usually the best songs as well, which sucks. Other times, you have to extract it from yourself forcibly, which is what happens in 95% of cases.  


What can people expect from your live shows?   

Well, at the moment, I'm working on a solo set-up wherein I use a looper on my guitar, voice and other instruments,. Check out my 'Monkey Gone to Heaven' cover on my youtube channel to see what I mean. For a full band setup you can expect a high energy rock and roll set, but I need to find a drummer first HINT   


What are you all listening to at the moment?   

I'll be honest, Hall and Oates are always on in my head. As far as new stuff, I'm loving Father Sculptor  and Sparrow and the Workshop right now, both great bands. Siobhan Wilson might well be the most talented musician I've heard since Prince, she's amazing. And my buddies Miniature Dinosaurs' forthcoming album promises to be brilliant. Well they promised ME it would be brilliant, anyway.  Mostly Hall and Oates though.    


What can we expect to see/hear from you in the future?  

Well for this album I'm working on my live set up, I'm also planning videos and hopefully a tour by the end of the year. Whatever form that will take I don't yet know. As for after that, I plan on very quickly (well quicker then 6 years) making another album. When I gain a respectable amount of indie cred, I plan to host Big Brother's Little brother and a year after that I plan to be an A-list celebrity complete with clothing line, the first of many prematurely ghost-written autobiographies, a similarly desperate for attention A-list celebrity girlfriend, and a high profile drug problem.   

I'm joking of course, all of those things are terrible.



Bandcamp
SoundCloud
Home
Facebook
Twitter


No comments:

Post a Comment