18 February 2013

Fresh Meat Monday - Randan Discotheque





Would you care to introduce yourself? 


Hello, I'm Craig Coulthard singer and songwriter from Randan Discotheque.   


How would you describe the music you make? 

I try to avoid it, but I'll give it a go - song based, mostly fun, sometimes sad. I like a good tune, and I like words.   


How did you start out making music?  

In my bedroom at about 13, with a guitar I played one string at a time, while whispering vocals into a vestax 4 track. Then once, I sang Johnny Cash's "Folsom Prison Blues" at a family karaoke thing, which was the first time I sang to anyone. I then started a band with two best friends at school, called "General Cuthbert" and we played covers of Stone Roses and the Grange Hill theme tune, plus we wrote our own songs - "Hippos & Dung" and "Peas on my Knees". The band also consisted of Dave Maclean from Django Django. Strangely, he never brings those days up when talking about his musical education....   


What process goes into the way you write songs? 

It depends, songs can begin as just titles, or melodies I hear when going to sleep, or blog entries, or sentences read in books. Bits and pieces snatched from sketchbooks - very occasionally, a song comes fully formed in about 15 mins - Grandad's Coffin and My Dad's Going to Afghanistan were like that. Songs which are fully formed normally come from translating actual experience, with little embelishment (like those two songs) into melody. Other times, bits and pieces are played out to others in the band, and it finds its own shape.   


What can people expect from your live shows?  

Not a lot at the moment as we haven't played for over a year due to various logistical obstacles. I've just been writing new songs in the last couple of weeks, so once we start playing again, I would suggest people expect a higher tempo, and a lot of use of a new instrument I've made - The Shoogle Stick.   


What are you all listening to at the moment? 

Nic Jones "Penguin Eggs", Zazou & Bikaye "Noir et Blanc", Doubleheart "Roots", Michael Marra "Gael's Blue", Iris Dement, King Sunny Ade    


What can we expect to see/hear from you in the future? 

Well, I hope we can get another album, after Sonderweg, out double quick, so I hope before the end of the year we'll be out playing, and the shoogle stick will also be witnessed in full effect.



Bandcamp 
Facebook
Myspace
Twitter
SoundCloud

No comments:

Post a Comment