27 December 2010

Fresh Meat Monday - Agnieszka Stachowiak


Would you care to introduce yourself?

My name is Agnieszka aka Almighty Sound. I originally come from Poznan in Poland. I’ve decided to move to Edinburgh because I had this idea of trying to hook up with the local musicians and making something cross-cultural.


How would you describe the music you make?

I always go for the melody first, I believe it needs to be, well, beautiful. I guess such melody-oriented approach could suggest that my music is pop music. But I guess the structure of the songs is too twisted for pop and there is also a bit of nu folk feeling to it, too. And on top of that, the vocals are very high-pitched because I’m deeply influenced by the opera music, musicals and by the Indian music (Bollywood soundtracks).


How did you start out making music?

The breakthrough moment came when I was about 13 and I borrowed a portable voice recorder from my parents. From that point on, I would carry it around with me all the time, interviewing people. And at some point I just started singing to it the tunes that came to my head.


What process goes into the way you write songs?

When an idea for a tune comes to my mind then I sing it to the voice recorder. That’s the starting point. Then come the lyrics. Afterwards I play it on the keyboard and write down the score. However, I use help of other musicians to add the chords or organize the measure, when needed.


What can people expect from your live shows?

I love the way that Rufus Wainwright does the shows so I will try to add a bit of glamour to it. Expect to see a Scottish-Polish mix of musicians onstage and some fancy instruments, like cello.


What are you all listening to at the moment?

Fleet Foxes, Rufus Wainwright, Florence and the Machine, the Klaxons, Prince, Major Lazer, Bollywood songs. I am always hungry to discover new music, so if you ask me this questions in 2-months time you are very likely to get a completely different list.


What can we expect to see/hear from you in the near future?

I am working on an LP now so you can expect more and more songs in the next few months. Also, look out for the shows in Edinburgh, hopefully first of them are going to happen this Winter.


Agnieszka Stachowiak - Maybe You Just Misunderstood



No comments:

Post a Comment