22 November 2010

Fresh Meat Monday - Verse Metrics

Photo by Luke Joyce


Would you care to introduce yourself?

Bob: Vocals and Guitar. Al: The other guitar Martin: Drums

Dave - Bass



How would you describe the music you make?

Bob: If we're labelling, I would say we're alternative/independent. If we're trying to describe our sound I'd say we like to have depth to our songs, whether we're playing quiet or loud, and like our songs to be atmospheric. Al: I think it's original. That's the main thing. There are a lot of influences on our writing from different bands and themes, but I class it as alternative. Martin: Pretty words, interesting floaty vocal melodies, powerful bits. The odd disjointed/unpredictable section. Dave: I'd say it's varied. There's an effort to avoid writing the same song twice.


How did you start out making music?

Bob: I joined a band four years ago, and over that time the line-up slowly changed until it was just myself and Dave (bass) left from the original band. Al and Martin joined us last year and we started from scratch as a 4-piece. Martin: I knew Bob from my youth, he introduced me to the other guys. It was a case of writing songs from the first practice. It's always been a creative process.


What process goes into the way you write songs?

Bob: I bring in initial ideas and then we expand on them as a band. I try not to over-write anything before presenting ideas, I'll usually bring in a collection of riffs and/or vocal melodies, then we go from there. We take our time and analyse the songs a lot over weeks or months: basically until we're happy. We all write parts for the songs and I love working that way. It leads to an end product with quite a few layers. Al: There's definitely a fair bit of evolution goes on. It's a collaborative effort where everyone is responsible for their own parts and the end result is 'Verse Metrics'. The whole band get the writing credit as it comes together from Bob's initial concepts.


What can people expect from your live shows?

Bob: We try to be as honest as possible when we're playing live, none of us ever really think about doing scissor kicks or sex faces. If it looks like we're having a good time/concentrating/worried it's because we are! If we've got good sound we'll put on a good show. Dave: I must admit that I'm guilty of the odd sex face. Definitely unintentional.


What are you all listening to at the moment?

Bob: Happy Particles, United Fruit, Pensioner and Trapped In Kansas. Al: Black International, Lightguides, a few old Seafood albums and I Build Collapsible Mountains. There's not much need to look further than Scotland's unsigned scene at the minute. There's about 20 other bands I could've mentioned. Martin: Just now I'm listening to Deftones: Diamond Eyes, which I think is one of the best albums I've heard in a long time. Other than that I'm listening to a lot of Stapleton and Twin Atlantic at the moment. I like originality in music as well as melody and passion, and I think all those bands offer that. Dave: A playlist on my phone which is home to tracks from Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Metallica and Korn


What can we expect to see/hear from you in the near future?

Bob: We have our debut EP release and our first ever tour, which is taking shape quite nicely. Looking forward to hitting the road and playing people our music... as well as enjoying ourselves along the way Martin: We've got an epic new stage routine, which involves us fencing with our cocks. Dave's been working on his light sabre noises. I can't really say much more.


Home
Facebook
Bandcamp

No comments:

Post a Comment