15 July 2013

Fresh Meat Monday - Lidh


Would you care to introduce yourself?

Hullo there, I’m Lidh (pronounced Lid, for anyone wondering). I’m from Anstruther in Fife and I don’t write as many sea shanties as you might expect. I actually wish I was in a rock band. 


How would you describe the music you make?

I’ve never been too sure how to describe it, but Nicola Meighan coined the phrase ‘psych-folk arias’ to describe what I write, and I’m cool with that, so thank you Nicola! I’d like to think my music isn’t completely folky, though. I use a fuzz pedal. That’s not very folky at all.


How did you start out making music?

According to my folks, I penned my first choon at 2. I’m told it was called ‘Sooty’s Mallet’. My Dad kind of indoctrinated me at a pretty early age. There was always great music on in our house. My Dad is a drummer, and drummed for Captain America/ Eugenius and fought in the ‘Grunge Wars.’ He’s always been my musical mentor, and he’s my drummer and manager now! My Mum taught me all there is to know about harmonies on long car journeys as a tot. I think I wrote my first ‘serious’ song when I was about 13. A reworked version of that very song is actually going to be on my next record…


What process goes into the way you write songs?

I don't have process, but if I did, it would probably be something like:


Punk

Rock

Or

Castanets 

Equal

Sexy

Sounds


What can people expect from your live shows?

My live set has developed a lot over the last wee while. You can expect fuzz- mandolin. That’s my party trick! I’m also almost always joined by drums these days, which is nice. I say drums, I mean a floor tom, hi-hat and snare with a tambourine and maracas… It’s kind of White Stripes meets the Corries.


What are you listening to at the moment?

I’ve had the new Queens of the Stone Age record on repeat since I got it, and I’ve been listening to a lot of The Brian Jonestown Massacre too. I’ve been told I listen to too much boy’s music. But I really love Max Richter at the moment, too, which is a bit easier on the ears.


What can we expect to see/ hear from you in the future?

I’ll be putting out my new record very soon, which I’ll be releasing on my own record label in association with King Creosote’s ‘Alter- Ego Trading Company’, which I’m really excited about. I’ve been a King Creosote fan for a good long while, so I feel very lucky to have his support. The Pictish Trail did a bloomin’ marvellous job of remixing my first record, too. I’m really grateful for all the wonderful folk I’ve met in the East Neuk whilst giving this music thing a go! I’ve got some pretty cool collaborators on the next record too, so watch this space…

Twitter
SoundCloud
Bandcamp
Facebook
Strange Fish Records


1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3/10/14

    seen lidh supporting the vaselines.

    she was very good - made me think of the shop assisants crossed with the sundays

    ReplyDelete