10 June 2013

Fresh Meat Monday - Colin's Godson

Would you care to introduce yourself?

Hello I'm Joe from the pop group Colin's Godson
 

How would you describe the music you make?

We make guitar based pop with slightly offbeat lyrical sensibilities, that's the short version anyway.
 

How did you start out making music?

The band has it's origins in my student days in Manchester in 2007. Influenced by the likes of Half Man Half Biscuit. and too many Frank Sidebottom live shows we started a 3 piece punk pastiche act and wrote shouty songs about Paul Weller in a Tardis and how great Marmite, is, playing regularly in the back room our local pub to bemused but entertained audiences.

When I moved back to Glasgow I mainly played in other peoples bands such as The Hector Collectors,The Plimptons, The Martial Arts, The Hussy's, etc but I always liked the anarchic spirit of Colin's Godson so I when I got the chance I assembled an A-team of amazing musicians that I'd encountered in my adventures to play in the band.. I'm the only remaining member from our original incarnation.

I quickly realised that with the calibre of musicians in the band it would be a lot more fun to turn the band into an out and out pop behemoth rather than just doing the 3 chord punk thing and here we are!


What process goes into the way you write songs?

It can differ, sometimes a song will appear fully formed in my brain and I just go into a room with a multi track recorder and try and recreate what I can hear in my head. Other times I'll go into the home studio and just pull a song out of the air in a couple of hours. I'm not really the type of person that spends ages working on songs.


What can people expect from your live shows?

Up till now this version of the band ,CGMKII, has mainly been a studio thing so we're quite new to the live circuit. I'd like to think that people who go to our shows will appreciate the tunes and and hopefully find some of words amusing! Most of songs clock in at under 2 mins so if someone doesn't like a particular song they don't have long to wait till it's over.


What are you all listening to at the moment?

I'm on a complete power pop kick at the moment which is definitely going to influence our next record.. We love stuff like Jellyfish and the Posies as well as Bowie, Queen the Beatles, the Kinks,etc which are our main reference points musically I suppose. lyrically stuff like HMHB, Sultans of Ping and I, Ludicrous are quite a big influences.



What can we expect to see/hear from you in the future?

I'd like to hope we get asked to play more gigs so we're more of a live prospect. I've mostly written our next album which is going to be called Colin's Godson 3D and mixed in 5:1 surround sound with full 3D artwork.

As we're a DIY band it might take a while to realise that ambition from a financial point of view but we'll get there. I'm hoping it will turn out well though. After that, who knows?
 
 
Colin's Godson's Greatest Hits is available as a pay what you like download on Bandcamp.
 

 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment