16 July 2012

Fresh Meat Monday - TeenCanteen






Would you care to introduce yourself?

We are four girls - Carla, Emma, Sita and Deborah and together we are TeenCanteen.     


How would you describe the music you make? 

Pop - sometimes it's happy and sometimes it's sad.     


How did you start out making music? 

Me and Sita used to be in the band Futuristic Retro Champions together. Once we had finished with that I began writing songs again and started playing them at open mic nights- mostly just to try them out - with various combinations of people singing and playing with me. I was playing at a charity night at Mono in Glasgow which Duglas from BMX Bandits was also performing at. Since then he has been a great support and encouragement for me and spurred me on to get the band together and get into the recording studio.    


What process goes into the way you write songs? 

Sometimes I get a wee melody in my head that might just be 30 seconds long, so I record myself playing it with my video camera. I record all my songs that way. Then I rip the audio from it and email it to Sita, Emma and Deborah and if they like it then we go into the rehearsal studio and develop it. It was exciting recording our forthcoming EP because we only had two rehearsals before going into the studio so it was great to see the songs develop in such a short amount of time. We also video or record every rehearsal so we have documentation of how each song starts out and then ends up. I also make videos with puppets and one of our songs Fireworks started out that way, it has now since been recorded by BMX Bandits and will be on their new album BMX Bandits in Space which I'm very excited about!    


What can people expect from your live shows? 

We've only played 2 gigs so far - but are playing at T in The Park, Wickerman and Doune The Rabbit Hole - and so far it's been a great reaction that we've had! We've been joined by Eugene Kelly (The Vaselines/ Eugenius), Duglas T. Stewart (BMX Bandits) and Roy Molller (The Store Keys) on stage as they all featured on our studio recordings which makes it fun for us. We keep it short and sweet and happy. We're just excited to keep playing so we can develop it further. We're all pretty keen to experiment with video projections which is something we are going to start working on in Autumn.     


What are you all listening to at the moment? 

The last album I bought was Rosie & The Originals Greatest Hits - I love Rosie Hamlin's voice! I like Wendy Chin who performs as Wonder For All and I got a lovely compilation of Momus from a friend recently. So that's who I've been listening to at the moment.    


What can we expect to see/hear from you in the future? 

We've got a couple of festival dates lined up, on Saturday 21st July we are playing at Wickerman, on the Acoustic Word Up Stage and on Saturday 25th August we play Doune The Rabbit Hole.

We're also supporting Miaoux Miaoux at Sneaky Pete's on August the 18th, and doing two shows during the Edinburgh Festival for Queens of Antifolk (7th and 12th).

And prior to all the we're playing the Neu! Reekie! Records! launch night at Mono in Glasgow on July 28th (that's who will be releasing our album) - there's more info here.  

Then in August we're going back to 45 A-Side to record more songs so we can release a mini album rather than the originally planned EP. The launch date will be Octovber the 27th and all featured guests will be performing with us! The venue has still to be confirmed but will be in Glasgow.







Home
SoundCloud
Facebook
Vimeo

No comments:

Post a Comment