16 November 2011

Scots Way-Hay #76 - Drunk Mule


Giving your music away for free seems to be a bit of contentious issue these days, personally I think that in a few years time that we will be seeing a lot more bands going down that route. Drunk Mule are one of these artists that are willing to let folk hear their music for no financial reward, a bold move in my eyes. Having caught my attention with their album 'Crash Test Y'self' which reminds me a bit of the Beta Band/Aliens, I liked their music so much that I decided to ask the band to answer a few questions for me, which also turned out to be the bands first ever interview. Here are the results...

Would you care to introduce yourself to the Peenko readers?

Hello, we’re Drunk Mule! We’re Steve Simpson (Geetar, Vox, occasional Les Dawson piano) and Richie Morris (Everything Else!)


It’s that question that all bands seem to hate answering, but how would you describe the music you make?

Mainly it’s just tunes we like listening to, probably heavily influenced by the bands we grew up with. Oh, an ma kids have got to like jumpin about to it.


How did the band come together then?

We virtually met on myspace about 18 months ago. We were under the separate guises of Splinterman (Richie) and Slacker73(me) We thought we’d try a wee collaboration and Drunk Mule was the result.


So where does the band name come from then?

Not too sure really. Drunk Mule Walkin’ just popped into my head one day and when I suggested it to Richie he said we should shorten it to just Drunk Mule. I think it fits the pair of us quite well.


Is there a certain process that goes into the way you write songs?

Aye, Richie puts together the bones of a tune and sends it over, I usually put some vocals on it then we knock it back and forward til we’ve got a finished tune. Then when we’re happy, Richie does his production thing and makes me sound much better than I am.


What artists would you say have had the biggest influence on the band?

We both grew up with the Manchester era so Stone Roses are a big favourite but also The Stones, The Mary Chain, My Bloody Valentine, Primal Scream, Howlin Wolf.


What would you like someone who’s listening to your music for the first time to take away from your music?

We’d hope at least one of the tunes sticks in your head enough to have ye hummin it for the rest of the day, to the point where you say, what the hell is this tune in ma head.


Do you feel that where you come from has had much of an impact on the music that you create?

I’m not sure, I suppose it’s bound to have. We’ve both been in various bands all our lives and growing up making tunes with your mates wherever you come from I suppose you pick up on whats going on around you.


What has been your most memorable gig to date, (be it good or bad)?

We’ve not actually done a gig as Drunk Mule yet!


Aside from world domination, what are your plans for the rest of the year and beyond?

We’re just well chuffed some people are liking our tunes and we’ve also had some radio airplay (a first for both of us)! We’ve started on some new tunes fir a new album and hopefully we can work on getting a live set on the go fir the new year. We’re havin a great time though!


Drunk Mule - Ma Method Man

Drunk Mule's album 'Crash Test Y'self' is free to download on their Bandcamp page, it comes highly recommended!

Bandcamp
Blog
Twitter
Facebook


No comments:

Post a Comment