10 October 2011

Back In The Game.... A News Roundup

I had fully intended to post up a news post ages ago, but alas things got a wee bit on top of me so this feel by the wayside. On Thursday coming it will be the blogs third birthday, bloody hell, time really does fly in. On the blogs birthday I celebrated by giving away free badges, then in year two I put out the one and only release on Peenko Records (I Build Collapsible Mountains debut album - funnily enough he releases his debut album this week). So what does year three bring then, well boy and girls it's that moment you've not been waiting for, this week we will hopefully be launching the first ever Peenko Podcast. Having hosted a few shows on Edinburgh student radio station, Fresh Air, I got the presenting/rambling pish, so I have managed to rope in my friend Charlie, aka King Post Kitsch, to record a show with me this week. Don't say I didn't warn you, anyway that's enough about me and my plans for world domination, on with the news...


It's been a while since I put on a gig on my own, so November felt like as good a time as any to test the wasters again. This time round I've roped in old favourites Randolph's Leap to support The Shivers a New York based duo who have recently just signed up to Fence. This is the first time that the two-piece will have played in Glasgow so I am pretty stoked to be able to be putting on their first show in my fair city. If you haven't heard of them before then I would thoroughly recommend that you check out their latest album, 'More' it's one the most addictive albums I have heard this year. Completing the bill I have Glasgow outfit Where We Lay Our Heads, a band that I have been a big fan of for ages now. I kept missing their live dates, so I thought that this was the best chance for me to see them live. I am still sorting out ticket details and the like, I'll tell you more a bit closer to the date.




Talking of other gigs that we have on, today sees the release of The Moth & The Mirror album on our wee label Olive Grove. To celebrate we've got two dates lined up in Glasgow and Edinburgh, the band will be hitting up Stereo this Wednesday (12th), before appearing at the Cabaret Voltaire in the capital this Sunday (16th). Open Swimmer support on both dates, with Rick Redbeard also doing the honours in Glasgow and Endor will be playing an acoustic set in Edinburgh. In addition to all of this the band are also going to be playing an acoustic set at 1pm in Fopp on Union Street in Glasgow on Sunday the 16th. I should hopefully have a lot more from the band on the blog later this week, I may go a little OTT - you have been warned. Oh and you should also check out their ever so pretty new homepage. For now though you can stream the album below, then go spend your pennies if you like it...




Peenko favourites the French Wives have spent the summer busily crafting their debut album with influential producer Tony Doogan. Their forthcoming long player is due out in the new year on the Electric Honey label, and ahead of it's release they're just about to put out new single, Numbers on October 24th. To celebrate the singles release they're having a launch night for it at Mono in Glasgow on Thursday the 20th of October, with support from Blochestra and Endor. Tickets for the gig can be pre-ordered via the bands new website now, plus you can stream the new single below.





What with the absence of the Music Like A Vitamin gigs this year, things with the Scottish Mental Health Arts and Film Festival have been pretty quiet on the music front without, but there's still quite a lot of interesting things going on. Two of the more interesting gigs that might be of interest are Rod Jones, James Yorkstone and Withered Hand mentored some young musicians, helping them with writing and recording, culminating in a live gig at Nobles Bar, Leith, on Thursday 20th Oct. Then on Monday the 24th of October, composer Malcolm Lindsay will perform songs that he wrote with some local kids, which will be performed by a classical string quartet for the first time at Platform, Glasgow, at 12.30pm. The project which was commissioned by Alun Woodward (Chemikal Underground/Delgados) which apparently saw the kids using special music software which helps people write music using colours/shapes rather than traditional notation - sounds complicated to me!



Anyway, that's enough of my ramblings for one post, I will leave you a couple of videos, the first is of James Mackenzie playing live at Cafferys in Inverness, then we have a new video from indie popsters, Be Like Pablo...




No comments:

Post a Comment