18 May 2011

Ready to Burst

I might well sound like a broken record, but running this site does sometimes feel like a full time job without the pay. I took Tuesday night 'off' for the Randolph's Leap single launch, which meant that I now have a mountain of emails to work through, some of which are awesome and others which will be filed in my Trash. The ones that end up in the trash tend to be those from PR companies trying to get me to check out some new hot American indie band, welcome to the joys of being added to a mailing list at random. Then again I can't really complain, as I have been at the other end sending folk unsolicited emails, or spamming as it's more commonly known. It's a thankless task sending emails out in the void, so I do try my best to reply to folk who send me personalised emails. I can't always promise that I will get back to everyone as I just don't have as much time as I used to. Not that I am complaining though, it's genuinely flattering to be in demand. I thought I'd use this opportunity to tell you a about some interesting things that have been sent my way...

Those awesome Detour boys have just announced their next A Wee Jaunt and this time they're doing it through in Edinburgh. For those of you who haven't been on one before, it's a pretty awesome wee idea where they get a small band of folk and take them on a wee adventure in which they get to see an array of acts playing in strange places. In the past venues have ranged from the middle of a river to a venues toilets. The last Wee Jaunt looked like this, while the first looked like this. If you fancy going along to this years event which takes place on Saturday 4th of June, then you can find out more details on how to book a place by checking out further details here. The event kicks off at around 3pm through until 8pm, culminates with an after party gig at the Electric Circus, featuring the awesome FOUND, plus some very special guests who have still be announced. Tickets for the evening part are only £5, further details can be found on the Detour boys Facebook page.

Tomorrow night in Glasgow, Communion are having their second ever outing in Glasgow. This time round they've lined up Bear Bones, In Flight Safety, Little Kicks and The Echoes for their northern leg of the Mumford & Sons affiliated Communion music/club night. The gig is at the 13th Note, tickets are only £5 and it all kicks off at 7:45pm. Further details can be found here.


On Saturday 18 June, Blank Canvas (who will be next Mondays next Fresh Meat stars) & Discopolis (who seemed to have emerged as the surprise package from this years T Break selection), are playing a free gig with Michael McNelly at the Wee Red Bar in Edinburgh. Further details can be found here.



Now for some festival news...

I guess by now everyone knows who's playing T Break and once again the usual it's a fix conspiracies have cropped up again. To be honest with you I am pretty sick of all the chat already, so I thought I'd give you an update on some of the smaller more interesting festivals that are taking place across Scotland this summer.


First up we have Doune The Rabbit Hole, which is returning for it's second outing this year from the 10th to the 12th of June. Having done a much better job of promoting themselves this year, the festival which takes place in Old Newton of Inverardoch near Doune have an array of act including the Vaselines, BMX Bandits and Zoey Van Goey lined up for this years event. Tickets are available for the bargain price of £58 for full adult weekend passes with camping, (£40 for under 16s). Day tickets are £32 for adults and £18 for under 16s, and admission is free for under 10s. Parking is £10. These prices apply until 1st June. Weekend tickets bought after this date and at the gate will cost £68. Further details can be found here.



Another wee festival taking place in the Central Belt is the Solas Festival which takes place in the grounds of Wiston Lodge,which is near Biggar apparently. The festival features an array of acts including Emma Pollock, Stanley Odd, The Starlets, We See Lights, Aerials Up, Open Swimmer, RURA and Silver Caves. Further details can be found here.

This might sound stupid, but although I have never been to the Insider Festival, it's still got a special wee place in my heart. Mainly because they started around the same time that this bolog started to focus a lot more on Scotttish music. The festival takes place in the grounds of Inshriach House near Aviemore, runs from the 17th to the 20th of June. Everyone that I ever spoken to who has been before comes back raving about what an amazing time they had. Which only goes to make me even more jealous that I've still not been. This year again I am going to have to give it a miss, as I can't really afford to do this and go up to goNorth, that and I think Mrs Peenko would divorce my ass if I fucked off to another music event without her.
If you are going or are just thinking about going I would recommend it highly as they've lined up some great bands for the festival, including Peenko favourites Admiral Fallow, Woodenbox With A Fistful Of Fivers, Let's Talk About Trees and Bronto Skylift. Further information on tickets and all of the bands that are playing can be found here.

Right I think that's enough of my waffle for one evening, I'll round this ramble up with a video for Randolph's Leaps new single Counting Sheep, enjoy...


5 comments:

  1. Anonymous18/5/11

    Since you aren't going to Insider would you like to come to my birthday party?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, Jim I will come to your party. Will there be cake

    Peej ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous20/5/11

    There may be cake. You'll have to leave the party early though, it is the same night you are DJing in Bloc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. aye, I spotted that
    who have you got booked anyway?

    ReplyDelete