02 May 2011

Fresh Meat Monday - James Mackenzie and the Aquascene

Would you care to introduce yourself?

Hi there, I am James Mackenzie, I’m a singer-songwriter from Inverness; I front a seven-piece band and together we are James Mackenzie and the Aquascene.


How would you describe the music you make?

There's a wide variety of styles within the band due to our different music tastes and personal inspirations; but to generalize, we're a mix/blend of folk and pop with elements of rock.


Would you care to introduce yourself?

Hi there, I am James Mackenzie, I’m a singer-songwriter from Inverness; I front a seven-piece band and together we are James Mackenzie and the Aquascene.


How would you describe the music you make?

There's a wide variety of styles within the band due to our different music tastes and personal inspirations; but to generalize, we're a mix/blend of folk and pop with elements of rock.

How did you start out making music?

I always wanted to have my own band and play an instrument throughout school. I avoided it for a while but went back to playing when I was about 17; I then started writing songs when I got more confident as a vocalist.


What process goes into the way you write songs?

I tend to write lyrics before writing music as I find that approach allows me to focus on each element of the song. However, if I have some really nice guitar parts, I'll concentrate on getting them finished, dig through some lyrics and try and fit them together.


What can people expect from your live shows?


Energy, rawness, entertainment and tight harmonies.


What are you all listening to at the moment?

I've been getting the band to listen to some Ray LaMontaigne and I'm currently going through my Nick Drake collection to widen my guitar playing skills. There's no harm in a bit of Megadeth now and then either!

What can we expect to see/hear from you in 2011?

It’s shaping up to be another really busy year, we are on tour throughout May to promote our new single and we have been confirmed to play several festivals across the summer. We are also planning to film a documentary of our festival appearances and we will be launching our album in September.



James Mackenzie and The Aquascene will release the single, “Pass Me The Bottle” on May 2nd 2011 and will be on tour throughout the month. For full details: http://www.theaquascene.co.uk

Soundcloud
Facebook
Twitter
Myspace

No comments:

Post a Comment