02 February 2011

Dylan Uncovered


I know a lot of folk go pretty crazy for Bob Dylan, I'm not one of these people. I am not going to apologise for this, you can berate me all you want, it's just not my cup of tea. Having said all of that I am about to let you know about an event being held in Edinburgh next week to celebrate his work, here comes the copy 'n paste part.....

"It was watching a succession of contenders on the X Factor perform what they kept calling 'the Adele song,' Make You Feel My Love, that stirred writer and musician Andrew C. Ferguson into action.

"I kept shouting 'It's a Bob Dylan song, not Adele,' at the T.V.," he says. "But once I stopped being grumpy about it, I realised it was a back-handed compliment to the man that his music's still making it through into popular culture even now. So I decided to organise Dylan Uncovered."

Love or loathe his own singing style, the wee man from Minnesota continues to be a source of inspiration for other artists, from Peter, Paul and Mary to Adele. Dylan Uncovered will showcase some of Scotland's finest indie talent with their own unique takes on the Bob Dylan songbook. Artists involved so far include (in alphabetical order)

Yusuf Azak,Isaac Brutal and the Trailer Trash Express, Edinburgh School for the Deaf (ex Saint Jude's Infirmary), Esperi, Hookers for Jesus, Norman Lamont, Shock and Awe, The Sundancer, and Tribute to Venus Carmichael.

Former Poet Laureate Andrew Motion called Dylan one of the foremost poets of the twentieth century, even comparing him to Keats. "When I heard Edinburgh City of Literature were combining with Glasgow UNESCO City of Music to run a campaign based on song lyrics, Dylan seemed like an obvious choice," Ferguson adds. "The response I've had from my musician contacts has been incredibly positive. Dylan himself might be like Marmite, but it seems like everyone's got a Dylan song or three up their sleeve. "

Doors open for Dylan Uncovered at 7.30 p.m. on Thursday 10th February at the Voodoo Rooms."


Date:Thursday, 10th February 8.00 p.m. (doors open 7.30)

Venue: Ballroom, The Voodoo Rooms, West Register Street, Edinburgh EH2 2AA.

Tickets: £7 (Advance sales £5 + booking fee available from Avalanche Records, 5 Grassmarket or WeGotTickets.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment