03 January 2011

Fresh Meat Monday - Little Fire

Would you care to introduce yourself?

Hello! I’m a 25 year old singer songwriter from the sea side town of Ayr and my real name is Jamie McGeechan. The name Little Fire comes from my wee brothers name Aodán ( Gaelic form of Aidan/Aiden), the meaning of Aodán in Gaelic is Little Fire.


How would you describe the music you make?

I would describe my sound as being heartfelt and passionate for all it being ‘bare’ in instrumentation and featuring mainly just vocals and guitar. I sing with conviction and feeling and I think that can resonate with people just as well as a band playing in unison. I’m not the most technical of guitar players and favour keeping it simple and letting the lyrics and vocals really deliver the song. Not to put myself down there or anything but just to be honest about my strengths. Musically my songs are quite simple with my voice being the main focus piece.


What process goes into the way you write songs?

My songwriting process is really rather without too much of an analytical process at all I just sing what I'm thinking and feeling and record it straight away if possible in my dictaphone. It's filled with loads of weird lines that I imagine are supposed to be for songs that sometimes just end up sounding like weird mumblings about something that was obviously supposed to be phrophetic or emphatic at the time.


What can people expect from your live shows?

Not much nonsense or jumping about just me getting stuck into the songs and singing with a lot of passion and me thoroughly enjoying it, I think you should put all of yourself into every performance otherwise it's a waste of time really. Singing makes me feel good and I love the song being something that you get lost in and give yourself to and hopefully the audience get something from it too.


What are you all listening to at the moment?

At the moment I'm listening to the new Rose Parade EP 'Grace', Andrew Roachford and Red House Painters.


What can we expect to see/hear from you in the near future?

I'm working on an EP and on my debut album just now, I've recently been awarded the Demo Recording Fund by Chem 19 and Scottish Arts Council which is fantastic and I'll be using the tracks from that for an EP. The showcase gig for the winners of the Demo Recording Fund will be on Saturday January 22nd at The Captains Rest in Glasgow.
I'll be performing with King Creosote on the afternoon of Saturday 22nd January as part of the event for the new Robert Burns Birthplace Museum opening in Alloway of which I've recently been commissioned to record an adaptation of A Man's A Man For A'That for, it was excellent to be invited to take part in this project alongside performance pieces from Eddi Reader and Scottish Hollywood legend Brian Cox.

I'll be flying out to New York to perform in April as part of New York Tartan Week the celebration of all things Scottish, I expect this to be massive in terms of opportunities and massive for the adventure itself! I've never been to the US so I'm hugely looking forward to getting out there and performing.


Little Fire - All I Need In Life

Home

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous21/4/11

    Well worth a look and listen - he is right into his music great voice ! Little fire is hot !

    ReplyDelete