25 October 2010

Fresh Meat Monday - Amy Duncan



Would you care to introduce yourself?

Hello, my name is Amy Duncan :)


How would you describe the music you make?

Folk / electronica


How did you start out making music?

I played piano and violin from a young age, in a classical way, and went to music college in Manchester when I was 16 to study the double bass.
I reached a very low point a year later and dropped out, moving into a bedsit in Glasgow where I started playing the guitar. Writing songs and singing became my solace, and a way of working through difficult times. I later went back to college and finished my degree!


What process goes into the way you write songs?

Sometimes I begin with a musical idea on the guitar/piano or bass, and then words and melody come, but sometimes its the other way round - I get a vocal idea, then shape music around that. My new album 'Potential-Space' is a collaboration with my lyricist friend David Paton, so that was a different process again. Last year David was writing a lot of song lyrics, and sending some to me. I chose the ones that stood out for me, or that I connected with most, and worked out the music for them. Some of the lyrics were written by me, and sent back and forth between the 2 of us until we both liked them.We didn't really set out to write an album at first, it sort of unfolded in a very natural way, and when we had 10 songs it felt complete. They appear on the album in the order they were written.


What can people expect from your live shows?

I play with Fiona Rutherford (harp), and Bradley Burns (live electronics) and I alternate between the piano, guitar and double bass as accompaniment to my voice. Its quite an intimate sound, emotional, and hopeful. My friend said, after our album launch gig, that we give off a humane and friendly vibe.


What are you all listening to at the moment?

Well, I was just given the new Joanna Newsom CD, which I am finding very inspiring. I was recently sent some Fourtet - 'Sing' being my favourite track from that. I often listen to the Grace Jones CD 'Living My Life', on a sunny day, its very uplifting. I have been listening to that one for years now!


What can we expect to see/hear from you in 2010?

We will be playing some gigs to promote the new album Potential-Space. I also have a lot of other songs recorded, and am hoping Brad and Fiona will add some of their magic to them. Up until now most of the music I have released has been self produced, a very intense experience of just me at home recording. I feel its time to open the door now, and to let a new, fresh energy in. I feel very excited about the next album to come, but I don't want to rush it. There is still a lot of promotion for Potential-Space to be done (I am doing my best with that!) and so I would expect the new album to be ready in the spring of 2011.


Amy Duncan - Rare and Free

Home
Bandcamp
Facebook
Myspace

No comments:

Post a Comment