14 September 2010

Scottish DIY Labels #4 - Seventeen Second Records


Would you care to introduce yourself?

My name's Ed Jupp, and I'm the co-founder of 17 Seconds Records, along with Laurent Gauffre.


What inspired you to start your own label?

It was something I had always wanted to do, even before I was a teenager, it just took me until my early thirties to do it. It started as an occasional club night, became a blog (over four years now!) and then a record label two years ago.

Chris Bradley - Golden Girl

Who do you have signed to your label?
Currently: X-Lion Tamer, Chris Bradley, the Last Battle, The Wildhouse, Factory Kids and David Scott. We have also put out releases by Aberfeldy, the Dirty Cuts and Escape Act.


Being based in Scotland do you only sign Scottish artists?

No, Escape Act were from Northern Ireland. What I would say is that because of the smallness of the label it is easier to work with people who are nearby -then again, David Scott is US-based.


Is this something you do as a hobby or can you make a living from it?

*Bitter, hollow laugh* Just as a hobby, for now.

X Lion Tamer - Neon Hearts


Do you have a certain type of sound that you look for in a band?

No, it's more to do with an ethos as a label. The Wildhouse are extremely noisy, X-Lion tamer draws on 80s synth-pop and The Last Battle and Chris Bradley draw quite heavily on folk music.


How do you go about deciding which artists you want to work with? How do you go about approaching them?

I have to hear something I like, and figure: would I want to buy this? Some acts have contacted us, other acts I'be heard through other people, also running the blog I've been sent things to hear.


What has been you personal highlight from running the label so far? What has been your biggest success?

Oh Lord...the first time I ever held a piece of vinyl with 17 Seconds on it, and still everytime I see one of our releases on iTunes or eMusic or in the window of a record shop. The 17 Seconds Records Nights I've put together, reading great reviews or hearing DJs play it on the radio...selling out of the X-Lion tamer EP was a great feeling.


If you could give one piece of advice to someone wanting to start up their own label, what would it be and why?

Just the one?!?!? Go for it, overall. Bear in mind, that everything will take longer, cost more and cause you more stress than you thought possible...

The Last Battle - Ruins


What can we expect to see and hear from the label in the future?

There'll be the next X-Lion Tamer single, the Last Battle's debut album, a new EP from the Wildhouse and another single from Chris Bradley over the next few months.


Seventeen Second Records

No comments:

Post a Comment