29 September 2010

Scots Way-Hay #35 - Zoobizaretta


Dananananaykroyd are the undisputed champions when it comes to the title of Scotland's most mispelt band name, until now that position remained realtively unchallenged. That was until Zoobizaretta came onto the scene.

'Zoobi' were always aband that I pretended to have heard anything by, I mainly foudn myself doing this when I was chatting Wull from Define Pop. The fact that he manages them should probably explain why I found myself nodding away in acknowledgement with what he was saying. While in fact I was completely clueless (what's new there then) about what he was talking about. He had been promising me a copy of their album for several months now, so when it finally arrived in my mailbox a few weeks back I really didn't have any expectations of what I was going to hear. To say that I was pleasantly surprised would be under selling it and then some. To me they sound like a Scottish Broken Social Scene, with an added touch of say Prefab Sprout or even a less morose My Latest Novel. It's a cracking wee record that completely caught me off guard, don't let the same happen to you.


Would you care to introduce yourself?

hello there. we are unpopular Glasgow-based pop combo Zoobizaretta.


How would you describe the music you make?

the sonic equivalent of making sweet love to someone who isn't there.


How did you come together as a band?

most of us met at uni, but we've been in flux since day one. people kind of come and go.


How did you start out making music?

i basically got fed up either not being in a band or being in a band with people i don't really like or being in a band playing music i don't really like, so basically called mates who could play a bit and went from there


What process goes into the way you write songs?

sexual frustration and the process of drinking alcohol.


Who are your big musical influences?

defiler. the orange organics. cain and the stubborn stains.


What kind of influence do you feel that where you come from has had on the music you create?

I'm from darkest Ayrshire. dunno, loneliness? definitely the alcohol bit. there's not much else to do.


What can people expect to see/hear from your live shows?

it's often a complete fucking shambles, but i think most people have a good time.


Has there been a particular gig that has stood out for you so far (good or bad)?

the gig when Marlous left the stage to source more booze halfway through a song and then missed her cue because she was at the bar will always hold a special place in my heart.


What are your plans for the rest of the year and beyond? Do you have any new releases planned for any time soon?

probably a single at the end of the year. possibly another album next year.




Being the up-to-date kind of guy that I am I can exclusively reveal that Zoobizaretta have no live dates coming up, or at least there aren't any on their Myspace. They did however, do two gigs in Glasgow and Edinburgh a couple of weeks back, I promise that I'll be more attentive in future! If you fancy getting your hands on a copy of their debut album, 'Foam & Leachate' then head on over to their Bandcamp page, it'll only set you back a fiver. Physical copies are available in physical copy from Love Music in Glasgow (formerly Avalanche).

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7/3/11

    I love these guys, genuinely the best band I have heard in long time. The album is stonkingly good. That's right, stonking!

    A

    ReplyDelete