30 June 2010

Scots Way-Hay #22 - Dupec

Week 22 and it's time for some ROCK!
For those of you who haven't been following this blog for a while you might well have missed my original 'Introducing' featuring that I ran in May last year. I know I am going to repeat myself a little here, but hey it was over a year ago and there were nowhere near as many of you visiting the site back then. Dupec are an Edinburgh three piece rock outfit that I first came across after the Jetpacks named checked them in several interviews. Being the curious/nosey bugger that I am, I did little digging and soon found myself hooked by their loud catchy tunes. Having just toured round Europe with We Were Promised Jetpacks and released another excellent new single 'The Brown Owl Knows Best' (which they have very kindly allowed me to post)
Ladies and gents, Dupec......


Would you care to introduce yourself?
Hello. I am James Yuill from Dupec. Not James Yuill the solo guy from London.

How would you describe the music you make?
Rock music, I guess. A million different types of music influence the tunes we write but essentially we are just trying to write good rock and roll songs that we enjoy listening to and playing.

How did you start out making music?
Personally, I started going to keyboard lessons when I was 7 or 8 and got my first guitar for my 9th birthday. Everyone in my family loves music so I was always well encouraged. I started playing in bands when I was about 15. Dupec started writing songs around 2008, when my (and Paul's) old band split up.

What process goes into the way you write songs?
Normally we'll start out writing songs with a few guitar riffs or motifs I've come up with and then add the rock bits as we go. We'll practice and change things as it all starts coming together and almost always add lyrics last.

Who are your big musical influences?
Pretty much everything I listen to influences me a bit and so I'd say its hard to determine a handful of big influences. Here's a few records/bands I've been listening to a lot recently or over the last few months: Foals "Total Life Forever", FaltyDL "Love is a Liability", Meursault "All Creatures Will Make Merry", Errors "Come Down With Me", Motown 50, Luke Vibert "Rhythm", Maps & Atlases, Gallows, The Twilight Sad "Forget The Night Ahead".

You recently toured around Europe with We Were Promised Jetpacks, how was it for you guys?
Unbelievably good. Basically a brilliant two week lad's holiday where you get to play a gig every night and get paid. Jetpacks have been brilliant to us and this was by far the best thing they've done for us. The venues and crowds in Europe (Germany in particular) were great. Everywhere we turned up in Germany we got amazing food (mostly ham and cheese) and beer and whisky. Me and Steel are wanting to move to Berlin next summer we just need to convince Paul that he needs it too.

What can we expect to see/hear from you in 2010?
Probably won't hear us on Leith FM again... We are in the process of trying to arrange an EP or Album release off the back of the double A side we have just released ourselves. When we have something out we will go back out on tour.

Dupec - The Brown Owl Knows Best

If you fancy catching the band live, then you're in luck as they're one of many amazing local bands playing at King Tut's as part of July's Summer Nights festival. Dupec will be playing alongside The Xcerts, Bronto Skylift and Otherpeople on Wednesday the 28th. Now that's what I call a line up! Tickets are available to buy for just six of your earthly pounds, you can pick yourself up some without any of that booking fee nonsense if you go direct to the venue. Otherwise it's online and your left to deal with the mystical beast that is 'admin fees'.

Myspace
Facebook
Dupec Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment