21 June 2010

Fresh Meat Monday - Dems


Would you care to introduce yourself?

Hello. I'm Dems, Dan to my mum. I'm 23 and I've lived in Edinburgh since 2008 though I'm originally from South East London.

How would you describe the music you make?

Synthetic and atmospheric. I use my MacBook Pro, an oversized Roland Groovebox, guitars and a microphone.

How did you start out making music?

I've only recently taken the opportunity to make my own solo material. I used to sing in a band at school, but a few years back, student radio got me more interested in audio production and I took time to familiarise myself with good software. Much more recently an interest in DJing got me thinking more about samples and mixing.

What process goes into the way you write songs?

I'll have an idea of the basis of a track, get as much as I can down, then play with combinations of samples and beats until I'm happy with it. I'll tend to have most of the components dotted around, and then it's a case of being ruthless with what you've got and not being closed off new ideas. Songs don't necessarily need verses and choruses, but I like them to build up to something.


What can people expect from your live shows?

More songs. And a plan. I haven't got anything lined up yet as I'm still putting touches to a few more tracks. Live performance will require a bit of thought too, I'm pretty sure it'll require more musicians than just myself; I like what Glasgow's Over The Wall do a lot, a good balance of analogue and laptop.

What are you all listening to at the moment?

The new Chemical Brothers track, 'Swoon'. It's amazing, it's bound to be a summer smash. Also a fair bit of Titus Andronicus and the latest Oneman set on Mixcloud. I'm enjoying waking up to 6Music and going to sleep to 1Xtra.

What can we expect to see/hear from you in 2010?

You'll be hearing more tracks and I'm going to do my best to take opportunities play them live. I wouldn't claim to know exactly what I'm doing, but people seem to like it.

Dems - Jarndyce vs Jarndyce


Bandcamp
Soundcloud

No comments:

Post a Comment