03 May 2010

Fresh Meat Monday - Sefiros


Would you care to introduce yourself?
I'm Bryan Henderson, a Scottish artist who mainly creates electronic music in such genres as post-orchestral electronica, ambient, industrial, 8-bit, and chillout under the name Sefiros. Over the past five years I've released several albums for free on the internet, and in 2010 I released the album Stop Becoming to online retailers such as Amazon and iTunes, as well as my official website.


How would you describe the music you make?
I hate this question because I have no idea whatsoever. I call it post-orchestral electronica, but that doesn't really mean anything. It's ambient electronica with a bit of classical orchestral influence and style. Music to space-out to. Someone called it melancholy clockwork, like a tiny mechanical device in a self-reflective state of mind.

How did you start out making music?
I first started writing music around the end of 2003, when I became part of the video remixing scene. From there I eventually branched out into writing my own original stuff. I guess you could say my stuff is pretty video game inspired.

What process goes into the way you write songs?
I tend to write straight into FLStudio using several free virtual instruments, samples, and effects. Usually I'll start with a beat or a chord progression and just branch off of that. Sometimes I'll come up with ideas away from the computer, but most of my songs just flow onto the screen when I start writing.


What can people expect from your live shows?
I haven't ever played live, but I am playing with the idea. I recently bought a Novation Launchpad, but I think I'd need another couple of pieces of kit before I could do anything that people would find interesting. Otherwise I'd just be standing on stage pressing the play button.


What are you all listening to at the moment?
I've just found an electronic artist from Japan known as she, which I am listening to rather a lot. The Australian artist Hunz is also getting a lot of plays, as well as the new Aereogramme offshoot The Unwinding Hours. And all the usual stuff I listen to like 65daysofstatic, Ólafur Arnalds, Unicorn Kid, etc.

What can we expect to see/hear from you in 2010?
Since I've just released my first album commercially, I think I'll be trying to promote that for a while. Then I'll probably start working on some more music. I used to release an album or two a year, but I've slowed down considerably since then. I might try to get some sort of live elements on the go too, but I'm not sure how long until that becomes something workable.



Sefiros - Ultimatum (MP3)


No comments:

Post a Comment