12 April 2010

Fresh Meat Monday - Lies


Would you care to introduce yourself?

Hello, I’m Ross Drummond. The only member of Lies. I’m 21, from Aberdeen, Scotland by way of Manchester, Holland and London.


How would you describe the music you make?

Someone said it was smart pop, I liked that. For the less imaginative it’s probably best described as electronic pop music, leaning to the independent variety.

How did you start out making music?

I’ve played in various bands on guitar since the age of 12, rock, hardcore, metal, folk and americana have all been their forte. Lies began in October 2009 after my previous band decided they didn’t want to play anymore and got proper jobs. I sat down at my laptop to create a batch of demos on my newly bought acoustic guitar and ended up on the other side with 4 songs written with an 808, a Rhodes and some other synths for good measure.


What process goes into the way you write songs?
When it comes to writing songs i try not to get too stuck in my ways, I’m a bit of a fiend when it comes to trying things new, coming from a background of playing guitar i’ve always just messed around on that or have hundreds and hundreds of lyrics and then tried to squeeze them into a song. At the moment I’m trying to sing top line melodies or write chords on the piano, I’m being very modern and writing most of my lyrics on the iPhone and then pretend I’m on the phone and sing into it with the voice recorder on there. I usually write a couple songs a week and then maybe one of those will make the cut.


What can people expect from your live shows?

Dancing, handclaps, glitchyness, lights, movies and fun. It’s all a work in progress and hasn’t happened yet.


What are you all listening to at the moment?
It’s always pretty diverse and a mix of all time favorites, records i’ve missed out on and new records i love. iTunes says: Richmond Fontaine - Thirteen Cities Hot Chip - One Life Stand The Weakerthans - Live At The Burton Cummings Theatre Lindstrom & Christabelle - Real Life Is No Cool Blind Willie Johnson - The Complete Blind Willie Johnson Chiddy Bang - The Swelly Express Copeland - You Are My Sunshine


What can we expect to see/hear from you in 2010?

2010 should see the debut of my first live shows and maybe my first release be it on 7”/10” or Tape, i’m currently in the studio writing and recording what i hope to be my first official EP as well as some little extras that i’m really excited about. Keep checking the myspace / soundcloud or my twitter for more information!

Would Your Husband Mind? by Lies

No comments:

Post a Comment