29 March 2010

Fresh Meat Monday - Shambles Miller


Would you care to introduce yourself?

Hullo, I'm Shambles Miller. I hope you're having a nice day. Possibly even a sandwich.

How would you describe the music you make?

I make shambling folky noises. Yeah...that sounds about right.

How did you start out making music?

Well, I've been playing guitar since I was about 14, originally noodling my way around various songs by the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I still love John Frusciante, big inspiration. I played in a few bands as a teenager, but in the last few years I got more interested in writing my own songs, eventually playing my first ever solo gig last summer. I realised that I wanted to keep doing it, and I haven't stopped since.

What process goes into the way you write songs?

I suppose I've never been one of those songwriters who has one definite process. Whilst I do spend a lot of time writing lyrics and ideas down, often a song comes out of nowhere; something sparks me off and I can't stop until it's finished. They tend not to work if I force them however, which can be frustrating. I've always loved the phrase "writing is sitting over a blank page until your head bleeds", but it rarely works that way for me.

What can people expect from your live shows?

Apart from a glimpse of one of my impressive collection of plaid shirts? I try and keep a good balance of humour and the serious stuff in my live shows, as well as fitting in some time to talk a bit of pish in between. I wear my heart on my sleeve with my music; I hope that comes through when I play live.

What are you all listening to at the moment?

Well, I've been listening to a bit of Billy Bragg recently and I just bought Mumford and Son's album"Sigh No More". Its bloody braw so it is. Also been listening to a lot of Seasick Steve, as well as some Yahweh, Second Hand Marching Band and Emily Barker, her stuff is quite lovely.

What can we expect to see/hear from you in 2010?

See? Plaid shirts and beards mostly. Hear? Apart from my rambling banter, I'm hoping to record a follow-up to my debut E.P during the summer. I'll also be gigging as much as possible, so I hope to see some of your lovely readers at a gig here and there. If they bring me a sandwich, we'll be best friends.



Shambles Miller - My Best Friend Is An Outsider (MP3)


2 comments:

  1. Anonymous30/3/10

    mon the shambles, great interview! nx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3/4/10

    Haha cheers man :) cx

    ReplyDelete